Hey there! Personally, I’m pretty skeptical if makeup setting sprays actually work after trying out several different kinds. I have oily/combo skin and I’ve tried Urban Decay’s De-Slick Setting Spray, NYX Cosmetics Matte Finish Setting Spray, and Smashbox Photo Finish Primer Water, to name a few. None of these really wowed me and made me think that I had to use them in order for my makeup to look good.
So, last week I finally finished off a bottle of setting spray. As I was about to throw away the bottle, I caught a glimpse of the tea tree oil sitting on my vanity, and I thought maybe I could make my own facial spray! After doing some research on what ingredients would work best for my skin type here is what I came up with:
- I started off with a 1oz spray bottle, since that’s what I had. Target has travel sized spray bottles that would be perfect for this! You can use any size, but you’ll want to adjust the amount of ingredients depending on size.
- Fill bottle halfway with green tea – green tea has lots of antioxidants and has anti-aging properties.
- Add 1 tsp of aloe vera – anti-inflammatory, contains vitamin C and E, which helps improve skin firmness.
- 4 drops of peppermint essential oil – helps aid oil secretion, and gives skin a cooling sensation. (Here’s what I use: Peppermint 100% Pure Therapeutic Grade Essential Oil- 10 ml)
- 6 drops of tea tree essential oil – helps prevent acne. (Here’s what I use:Tea Tree (Melaleuca) 100% Pure Therapeutic Grade Essential Oil by Edens Garden)
- Fill the rest of the bottle up with water.
- Shake vigorously before each use!
After using this for about a week I can say it sets my makeup beautifully! I don’t think I’ll ever go back to buying facial/setting sprays.
The great thing about this D.I.Y. Facial spray is that it’s full of ingredients that are good for your skin! It can be used before applying makeup, as a makeup setting spray, or after your nighttime skin care routine. Let me know what you think if you try it and remember you can change up the ingredients to better suit your skin type!